"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Local Politics Post

Yes, I said there wouldn't be any more of the constant political shit here. And I ain't going to. At least the usual Obamm-bamm bullshit. But I will post stuff occasionally about things that are going on locally, as it relates to stupid shit happening here in my state.

For instance:
Smokers fuming as state considers adding to tax hike
[...]
Thus emerged a glimpse of the Catch-22 that could come with boosting sin taxes: The state wants more money for its budget; but if legislators try to extract too much financing from discretionary habits, they could tax revenue right out of Nevada's coffers.
[...]
The dumb-ass voters in this state voted against allowing smoking in bars that serve food already. That caused a big dip in businesses around the state. I'm talking no less than a 15-20% decrease in patronage.
Now add more taxes to tobacco, and what happens? Some people will pay anyway, but then some will just quit buying the shit.

The thing is, budgets have already been drawn up which rely on dollars from tobacco sales, so they've done gone and legislated that money right out of the budget.

You self-righteous twits didn't see that coming now did you?



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

Jinglebob said...

Our state just passed a law that you will not be allowed to smoke in any public place. Then I read today the fed upped the tax from $.39 a pack to $1.01 a pack that goes into effect tomorrow. Wonder how that's going to work out for tax revenues.

Could we put a high tax on being a lawyer or politician and see if we could eliminate a few of them?

curmudgeon said...

I think lawyers should not be allowed a contingency fee at all, unless they win. All lawyers' fees should be paid by the loser.
And I'm not talking about defendants either. I'm talking about the lawyers.
If lawyers only got paid when they won, and paid when they lost, they would try harder.
Of course, that would fuck up settlements. But it would also cut down on suits where there was a possibility of losing.

Anonymous said...

The tax on bagged tobacco went up OVER 2000%!!!

Change you can't afford.

curmudgeon said...

It don't even pay to roll your own any more?

Good gawd.

Miss Sassy said...

Reminds me a little of when my friend and her hubby finally finally got the cash scraped together for a truck big enough for hubby to work with. Monster thing, and it had to be diesel for what he needed it for.
That was the week, the first week ever, diesel was more than gas.
Now he could do the work, but couldn't afford to get there.
But, ya know, the state wide version of that.

curmudgeon said...

And diesel used to be about half the price of gas.

Anonymous said...

I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but if I did, I'd damn sure buy smuggled ones from North Carolina.

curmudgeon said...

Even the price of bags of tobacco are going up.
What a bunch of crooks.

SK said...

And THIS is why I buy stuff for my Soldier's when I'm in Mexico :)

curmudgeon said...

Good gawd-a-mighty. I don't dare even go to Mexico any more.