"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Monday, March 20, 2006

Fucking Morons

Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places:

CALABASAS, Calif. - No more smoking in the park. Lighting up on the sidewalk could bring a fine. Dining on the restaurant patio? Don't bother asking for matches.

One of the strictest tobacco bans in the nation went into effect in the Los Angeles suburb of Calabasas last week, making smoking off limits in public places where someone else might be exposed to secondhand smoke: indoor businesses, outdoor businesses, parks, outdoor cafes, even apartment building common areas.
[...]
I've harped on the shit so long I'm getting tired of it.
Once again, self righteous assholes call upon the government to 'protect' them from the evils of thier fellow human beings.
There has been no documented proof yet that second hand tobacco smoke is dangerous. There has been plenty of assumption and generalization, but no real studies have been performed.
Now I'll be one of the first to admit that smoking is bad for you. But what the fuck are they going to outlaw next? The next time some politician is wanting to score some points 'for the people', what are they going to turn to?

Well, it ain't going to get any better until it's mandatory to wear a bubble.
Stupid shit.

2 comments:

Lee said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2053840.stm

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_More_Studies_Slam_Secondhand_Smoke.asp

Thought you might be interested to read those two articles. If you google "secondhand smoke studies", you will find more, along with a ton of propaganda in both directions.

That being said, I am against legislating foolish things like secondhand smoke. If, as is obviously true, smoking is such a health hazard then it should be outlawed entirely, but I won't get started on the political rant about the government being in the pocket of the tobacco lobby.

Enjoy!

curmudgeon said...

I'm not doubting second hand smoke is bad. In fact I think it is.
But with phrases like 'they suggested' and 'could be', I'm still not convinced there are any definitive studies which have concluded without a doubt that passive smoking is directly linked to death the same way as the sheer volume of smoke inhaled by a smoker.

But I'm a nerd, not a doctor. So what do I know?

Other than I know I abhor laws like this.
The government is being forced to take care of us and make our decisions for us because we keep making them. More and more laws.