"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Thursday, July 27, 2006

I May Be More Conservative Than Even I Thought I Was

Which - to some of you, may seem like a stretch, but nevertheless, I just may be.

I've seen a car commercial a couple times now that has somewhat taken me aback. I forget the brand, but that doesn't really matter as the message is what I was going to ramble on anyway.

Here's the scenario. Mom, Dad, the two kids are driving along in the car and eventually end up at the park. They have their picnic, play on the swings and asundry playground equipment, toss the frisbee around or whatever else it is they do at the park to spend their day, then they all jump back in the S.U.V. and head home.
The final scene shows Dad standing off the the side waving goodbye and thanking them for inviting him along.

Maybe it's just me, but that commercial seemed to take a giant leap from average conservative, parents-with-2.3-kids suburban family life; to a broken, visit-dad-on-weekends family seeming to be the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-divorce, old-fashioned, ultra-conservative by any stretch. Hell, out of the five children my parents had, one is still married to his 'original' wife. The rest of us have all been divorced AT LEAST once.
And I firmly believe that us divorcees are better off by a hundred times, than if we would have stayed married because of tradition, it was the proper thing to do, because of "The Children®", or whatever.

I guess that commercial just seemed to take a bigger step toward progressiveism than I was quite prepared to take.



AND YOU DAMN KIDS BETTER GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!

4 comments:

Jean said...

that sounds like a sad commercial to me.......

rachel said...

It's a fantasy, right up there with the Bud clydsdales playing football and fairies turning big biker guys into preppies.

I don't know a single divorced person who would be able to stomach being in the presence of their ex for more than a major event (graduation, wedding, etc.) even if it is for the kids.

curmudgeon said...

Good points. I didn't even think that far into it.

curmudgeon said...

That's what gets me I reckon.

Even for a grumpy old bastard I guess I'm still a little traditional.