"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

When In Rome...

Bummer. From The Observer:
Indian call staff quit over abuse on the line

Firms provide counselling to help staff insulted by British customers

Abuse from British and American customers is driving increasing numbers of Indian call centre workers from their jobs, defeated by the strain of handling persistent rudeness.

Irate customers was cited as one of the main industry stress factors in a recent survey of call centre staff and some organisations have begun employing psychiatrists and counsellors to help employees to cope.
[...]
I find myself totally unsympathetic. Sure, they're just the average working stiff in the middle east trying to make a buck as far as they're concerned, but have you ever had to deal with them?
I won't even get into the outsourcing jobs to another country aspect, that's pretty much been covered. But hiring someone who can't speak the language is not good service. I don't care what nationality they are. Even if they live in the U.S. Train them properly or don't put them in the position.
If you live here, you should speak the language. If you're representing an American company, you for all intents and purposes, live here as far as the customer is concerned.


That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am being many unhappy with our speaking togetherness.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I have to agree with you fully. I have never been deliberately rude to a professional on the phone, but it can at times be impossible to mask the frustrations. A company that comes to mind is Dell computers.

I wanted to cancel the installation because I realized I could easily do it myself. I struggled to understand the guy I was talking to... you'd think that if you can't speak english well, you would at least speak slowly. After 20 minutes he said he had it figured out, it was cancelled. 30 days later it's still on my credit card, I call back. I am transferred from one non-english speaker to another. I finally said I wanted to cancel the whole damn order... I wanted them to come pick up the boxes as soon as possible. I was immediately transferred to a charming young man who spoke perfect English... frustrating.

treborc said...

Then to end the rudeness is check whether or not I'm on the no phone call thank you . I do get rude and will when you not supposed to phone I've registered not to have these calls and when you get people who will demand you listen to them, I get annoyed.