"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Dad's Shoes

I originally posted this little poem here back in December 2nd, which would have been my dad's birthday. But since this is father's day, I'll go ahead and repost it.
So with that, here is a poem I wrote in 1993 while remembering him one year.

Daddy's Shoes

An old pair of shoes
Left alone in the hall,
Right there on the floor
Sitting next to the wall.

"These were Daddy's shoes"
Ma said as we passed,
On the way to the room
Where Dad had slept last.

He left this world happy
And said on that day
"I've led a full life."
We still miss him today.

But we all had the chance
To have our lives filled,
With his knowledge and wisdom,
Our souls he helped build.

So we look back and smile
And know he loved us all.
I gaze at those worn shoes
Sitting there in the hall.

I think of the roads
On which he has passed
The giving without taking
Doing without being asked.

Someday I'll be as good a man
I'll have paid all my dues
But not 'till I've walked a mile or more
In my Daddy's shoes!

I don't mind if anyone wants to pass this along. All I ask is you don't pass it off as your own.

3 comments:

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

That was a really nice. Thank you for sharing it!

Peggasus said...

Lovely. My dad died 3 1/2 years ago. Father's Day is still a bit hard for me. This made it easier. Thanks.

curmudgeon said...

I'm glad you folks liked it.