"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Rebooting

So we are all too familiar with the act of rebooting a computer. From the earliest days in the computing world, every time it 'locks up' or 'blue screens', or things just aren't working right, Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Whenever a user at my work has some sort of strange or unexplainable problem, I tell them to save everything they can, and reboot their computer.

Well, I also learned that my truck needs to be rebooted sometimes.
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado, with separate temperature controls for the driver and the passenger. If you turn the passenger temp setting all the way to hot, get warm then try to turn it down to a cooler setting, it doesn't change. It stays hot hot hot. In order for it to be settable to a cooler temp, the truck must be rebooted.
I have to stop and shut the engine off, let it set for a few seconds then restart it. After that, the temperature settings will work properly.

Now, with the advent of all these cutesy, fancy christmas decorations, which are controlled by teeny little electronic controllers, we learn all the new things which also must be rebooted.
I have some christmas decorations which are little 3" globes. They have 3 L.E.D.'s in them (red, yellow, blue), which in a rotating fashion, are powered on and off, making the globes change color from blue to purple to red to orange and so on.
Well last night, they got stuck on green. They were no longer changing colors. So what did I do to fix it? You guessed it. Cycle the power. Reboot.
They are working fine again. For now.

No comments: