"Obama's An Idiot" is where my political bitches now live. Go ye thereto and read.

Obama's An Idiot Main Page

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

WOOHOO!

Discovery has been sucessfully launched.
Cool.

Update: "Now traveling faster than a bullet from an assault rifle...".
Leave it to our unbiased media. Good gawd-a-mighty.

Update 2: Newsflash from SpaceflightNow:
SHUTTLE FLEET GROUNDED AGAIN BY FALLING FOAM
--------------------------------------------
NASA's shuttle program manager says the spaceship won't fly again until the agency understands why a large section of foam peeled away from Discovery's external fuel tank during yesterday's launch. Discovery's mission is the first shuttle flight since Columbia was lost in 2003 after being struck by falling foam.
So it wasn't fixed after all.
I could have sworn while I was watching the video of the separation of the external fuel tank, that I saw some stuff fly off. And it appeared to come from the same spot as where the engineers determined the chunk fell off of Columbia, when it met its fate.

3 comments:

Pammy said...

Pretty thrilling. But, I couldn't help myself...I just kept waiting for the words "Throttle up"...and waiting to see another horrific explosion.

It's funny how awful things like that just stick in your head.

curmudgeon said...

I think there were quite a few people on the edge of their seats.

Peggasus said...

I had just come in from golf at 9:30 (Chicago time) today, and it launched a few minutes later. Everyone in the restaurant was watching it. We all mentioned how thrilling it is, no matter how many times you see it.

I think the Challenger explosion is a kind of a touchstone for many people, the way Kennedy's assasination was for people my age (I was 9, in 3rd grade). I remember the date of Challenger because I was pregnant with #1 son, who will be 19 in a few weeks.

That was January of 1986.